day 36 mon

Last Night, we pulled into Birdsong Creek and anchored and fished a while but no luck.

Got underway about 7:45, back out to main channel, we are now at the end of the lake and it is more riverlike with small islands. We had fishing lines out overnight and I had a small catfish and Milt had a snag. My fish was only about 10″ long so a little small with only one fish so I threw it back. but when we pulled the anchor, Milt found it had been snagged on the anchor rope and it had a fish on it a nice catfish. and it appeared he had actually lassoed it.

went up on past the Tennesse River and stopped at Cuba landing, not sure they are open, but I have an interent connection so am posting this for now


Anchor2ed anchored in birdsong creek west side l…


anchored in birdsong creek west side lake fishing no luck above us70 bridge

Day 35, Sat

We are still here at Paris Landing,   wind was pretty strong out of the north this morning and waves on the lake pretty rough and choppy, so we are waiting to see if it dies down.    if not, we may be here another night.    We have now got fishing licenses for Tennessee so may try some fishing the rest of the way,       I don’t think that I will have internet connections very much of the rest of the way.    only if we pull into a marina with wifi.     so will probably keep a log on computer and try to make a quick upload and post if I get a a quick connection.

Got pretty cool last night, down around high 50’s. First night that we have used the blankets or sleeping bags.   supposed to be cool again tonight.

May take off upriver/lake yet tonight if wind dies down, but does not look promising.       Someone just came over to see us who is from Baldwin,    retilred, sold his farm, bought a boat , and living on  it down here.

Day 34 Fri

Left anchorage about 8:30 and proceeded back down the 2 mile bay to lake, quite brezzy with a NE wind so we proceeded to cross the lake quartering downwind to the eastern side and where the main channel was. this kept us more in the lee of the wind and we followed the main channel as much as possible. but it did cross over to the west side and one point and then back . was not bad thought as we were still going with the wind and waves .

We are have Tennessee on both sides  of the lake. plan on getting some fishing licenses this evening and try some fishing in the bays.

It became pretty windy about noon and waves were splashing a lot of water into the canoe as we approached the US 79 bridge so we pulled into the Paris State Park Marina to bail canoe. It was plumb full by the time we arrived. We had planned on stopping there anyway to buy some supplies. so we bailed out the canoe, rented an overnight dock, and one of the attendants volunteer to take us up to a small grocery store about a mile away. then Stan washed clothes and we did a few other items.

have wifi internet tonight ,  as well as restrooms and showers,


see the daily page for photos and more detail

No internet. Posting with cell we are anchored o…

No internet. Posting with cell we are anchored on wezt side of lake up the sugar creek arm of the blood river tn on other side

see the daily page of more detail

sheltered bay where we anchored  across from Sugar Creek Marina

sheltered bay where we anchored across from Sugar Creek Marina

Day 32, wed sept 11th

We picked up the boat and trailered it up to Kentucky Lake and put it in at a ramp near the Kentucky Dam Marina. Arrived about Noon, but after putting the boat back in order, attaching the canoe, and front splash guard, etc it was about 2:00PM when we got started, stopped at the marina for some drinks and water, ice, etc. then headed down the lake for about 6-7 miles to Moors Marina, pulled in and got a dock, its even covered with a roof


see daily page and photos at

day 31, tues, sept 10th

We are still here at motel, but the boat motor is fixed, main problem was carbon building up in the exhaust manifold and blocking the exhaust system, which may have been caused or aggravated by our overloading the boat and two small an engine for this overloading. apparently we are not going fast enough to out run the exhaust gases coming out under the water and this causes the buildup. this should fix the problem for a time, but it may happen again so we may have to clean it at the end of trip. going faster may not help, but some additives in gasoline probably will. we think that going downstream also aggravated the problem and we will be going upstream from now on which may also help.

Since it was to late to do much anymore today, our current plans are to stay here overnight, pick up the boat tomorrow morning, and trail it to Kentucky lake for launching. This will avoid the Cumberland river and lock which is very busy now that the Kentucky Lake dam is closed and all barge traffic has to use the Cumberland/Barclay lake lock and narrow Cumberland river. so hopefully tomorrow we will be on our way.

Previous Older Entries Next Newer Entries